1) Fill the mate gourd with a daily serving of Yerba Mate.
2) Gently shake the gourd so that the yerba mate is on one side, leaving an open area on the other side.
3) Insert the filtered end of the bombilla (straw) into the bottom of the gourd.
4) Gently pour a little cold water into the open area to moisten the yerba mate. This protects the flavor and health properties. Leave the mate gourd tilted until the yerba mate has absorbed the water.
5) Add hot (no hotter than150 degrees F.) water until it reaches just below the top of the yerba mate. Sip from the bombilla until all the liquid is gone, and then add more hot water. The first few drinks are strong; the flavor will soften as more water is added for each drink.
6) Now that the gourd is prepared, drink it, add more hot water and serve your friends one at time in a circular fashion. Basically, pour, pass, and sip. Let them know not to move the bombilla, as to not disturb the yerba. - Before using the gourd, read the “Curing and caring” section.
7. The mate gourd can be refilled 15-20 times.
How to prepare mate tea conventional way
Place yerba mate in the French press. Add hot water and steep for 3-10 minutes. We recommend using 1-2 tbsp. of loose mate per cup. First, moisten the mate with cool water to protect the nutrients and flavor, and then ADD HOT (NOT BOILING) WATER.
Place yerba mate in filter basket, then brew. We recommend using 1-2 tbsp. of loose mate per cup. First, moisten the mate with cool water to protect the nutrients and flavor, and then run the machine as usual.
Yerba mate brews well in most espresso makers. Place 1-2 tbsp. of loose mate in a double espresso porta-filter. Pull a long shot for a total of 4 oz.Great for making mate lattés.
Mate Latte Recipe:
Brew an 8 oz. cup of Yerba Mate. Add sweetener (sugar, honey, or maple syrup) to taste and 4 oz. of steamed milk of choice. Top off with milk foam. Makes 12 oz. latté.
Curing and caring
1. Gently scrape the inside of the gourd with the tip of the bombilla to clean out any loose gourd particles and seed flesh.
2. Prepare the gourd for drinking following normal preparation instructions.
3. When finished using the gourd for the day, empty it out and give it a rinse with water. Then using the bombilla, gently scrape out the gourd again.
4. Finally, place the gourd upside-down in the dishrack or a warm place to COMPLETELY dry. DO NOT let your gourd stay moist for prolonged periods of time. For best results let your gourd completely dry before using it again.
© 2019 Tealand Trading LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Designed by: Cranberry Marketing